Planning AssociateAugust 5, 2022 4:05 pm
Let us introduce ourselves…
It’s the people at Shakespeare Martineau that make us so special. By understanding what our people want, giving them the support they need, recognising everyone’s contribution and realising the unique power of teams, together we win. As a firm we are focused on proactively building and developing diverse teams, bringing different backgrounds, personalities and perspectives together. We play to our strengths, pushing ourselves to be consistently better than yesterday and deliver amazing solutions for our clients. We empower our teams with a high degree of individual responsibility; we self-manage and encourage everyone to be responsible for their own learning, knowing it makes us even better at what we do!
We believe in trusting our people to make the right decisions for themselves, from when and where you work, to how you dress; we focus on outputs.
Check out our amazing benefits here.
Meet the team
We boast one of the largest planning teams in the country and have been identified as leaders in this field by both Chambers and Legal 500 for the last 18 years. Our legal planning team is further strengthened by our in house planning consultancy Marrons Planning, which has 17 town planners. Our highly-experienced Legal Planning team provide practical solutions to meet clients’ needs. Covering all areas of planning law, acting for commercial and residential developers, landowners and local authorities on both contentious and non-contentious matters, our team has the experience to meet diverse planning law requirements. Our experience includes dealing with planning appeals and inquiries, judicial reviews and statutory challenges, highways issues, section 106 agreements, section 278 agreements, advising on Community Infrastructure Levy and advising parties on the promotion and objection to Compulsory Purchase Orders and Development Consent Orders and related processes.
Our award winning Legal Planning team are growing and we are on the lookout for an innovative and ambitious Associate to help support the team’s development. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals with a broad spectrum of legal planning experience to be involved in top quality work, working with high profile clients and supportive colleagues.
Your key duties will be:
- managing a range of both contentious and non-contentious planning work
- drafting planning obligations and highways agreements
- undertaking planning due diligence work
- managing your own caseload as well as working on larger cases as part of a team
- liaising with clients in a professional manner
- working to strict deadlines
Skills and experience you will have:
- ideally circa 3-6 years PQE, specialising in Planning work
- a solid ability to prioritise workload and cope with changing demands
- confident interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with repeat clients and as a team
- experience of Development Consent Orders, Compulsory Purchase Orders and Transport and Works Act Orders desirable but not essential
- the ability to seek out and develop marketing opportunities
- an interest in being involved in marketing activities including attending networking events and writing articles for professional journals
Key competencies you will need:
- the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- a high degree of initiative and the ability to cope in a demanding environment
- excellent organisational and prioritising skills
- excellent communication skills and the ability to build rapport with colleagues and clients alike
- the ability to develop the knowledge and expertise of the team, as well as yourself
How we work
We embrace agile working and offer a blended approach to where and how we work.
We appreciate that people have different needs and preferences and we’re keen to be flexible, after all, we value what you do, not where you do it.
We have hubs in Birmingham, Leicester, London, Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Solihull, Stratford-upon-Avon and Sheffield. This role will be blended between working from home and from one of Midlands office hubs (Birmingham, Nottingham or Leicester).
Please be aware, for some vacancies, where we receive high numbers of applications we may need to bring the close date forward.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
This post was written by webjuice